Webinar: Diagnosis, Assessment, & Treatment Planning in Play Therapy
October 16th, 2020
A child’s play or pattern of behavior in the playroom can guide a play therapist towards a diagnosis and treatment plan that’s most appropriate for that child's needs. This workshop will delve into using play as an assessment tool to identify common themes that may signal mental and/or behavioral concerns in children, adolescents and teens. Time will be spent exploring common diagnosis in children including depressive disorders, trauma-stressor related disorders and more. From there, participants will gain a hands on experience in constructing effective treatment plans for a variety of DSM-5 diagnosis through the use of case studies. Attendees will also practice various play-based interventions to support the treatment plans to address issues such as impulsivity, conduct issues and more. Participants will:
- Develop ways to gain “buy in” from clients and caregivers regarding play therapy as an assessment and treatment modality.
- Identify the advantages of play-based assessments.
- Interpret play themes in common mental health disorders in children and adolescents.
- Utilize creative and effective play therapy techniques to address common DSM-5 diagnosis in children and adolescents.
- List the specific steps in play-based treatment planning for individual and family play therapy.
- Construct measurable treatment goals and objectives through the use of play therapy case study examples.