Webinar: Diagnosis, Assessment, & Treatment Planning in Play Therapy 2022
May 14th & May 21st, 2022
A child’s play or pattern of behavior in the playroom can guide a play therapist towards an effective diagnosis and treatment plan. This webinar will explore the use of play as an assessment tool to identify common play themes that may signal mental and/or behavioral concerns in children and adolescents. Time will be spent exploring play therapy interventions to support common diagnosis in children including depressive disorders, trauma-stressor related disorders and more. Participants will use case studies to practice integrating play-based interventions into the construction of treatment plans to address issues such as impulsivity, conduct issues and more. Participants will:
- Identify the advantages of play-based assessments in individual and family play therapy sessions
- Discuss the value of play therapy assessments in the treatment of children and adolescents
- Assess play themes that may be a sign of common mental health disorders in children and adolescents
- Design measurable play therapy treatment goals and objectives through the use of play therapy case study examples
- Demonstrate ways games can be integrated into play therapy sessions to help guide mental health diagnosis
- Explain play-based interventions to use in individual, group and family play therapy to decrease mental distress in children and adolescents
- Write play therapy treatment goals using sand tray therapy.
- Discuss sand tray prompts to implement in play therapy with clients across the lifespan to assess mental distress.
- Analyze play themes in sand tray that can be used as a play therapy assessment tool.
- Assess therapeutic progress in sand tray play therapy.
- Discuss sand tray therapy as an assessment tool in family play therapy.
- Identify sand tray categories that communicate mental distress in the playroom.